Young and research-intensive, Nanyang Technological University (NTU Singapore) is ranked 12th globally. It is also placed 1st among the world’s best young universities. NTU invites outstanding early career researchers to apply for appointment as a Wallenberg – NTU Presidential Postdoctoral Fellow.
The Wallenberg – NTU Presidential Postdoctoral Fellowship, supported by the Knut and Alice Wallenberg Foundation, provides a unique career opportunity for early-career researchers who are keen to develop their career and gain international experience in both Asia and Europe. The fellowship covers two years of independent research, split evenly between Nanyang Technological University Singapore and with a Wallenberg AI, Autonomous Systems and Software Program (WASP) research partner institution in Sweden.
The WASP is a major national initiative for strategically motivated basic research, education and faculty recruitment. It is by far the largest individual research program in Sweden. WASP has five partner universities: Chalmers University of Technology, Linköping University, Lund University, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, and Umeå University. In addition, research groups at Örebro University and Uppsala University that are members of WASP AI are also included in WASP.
The Wallenberg – NTU Presidential Postdoctoral Fellowship will be awarded to individuals who demonstrate the intellectual capacity and rigor to drive their own research in the broad and multidisciplinary areas of:
- Artificial intelligence,
- Machine learning,
- Big data and data analytics,
- Software and security, and
- Mobility and autonomy.
The Wallenberg- NTU Presidential Postdoctoral Fellowship provides a 2-year tenure, with time split evenly between NTU Singapore and a WASP research group in Sweden. The Fellows will have the option either to start the first year with NTU Singapore or with a WASP research group in Sweden.
For the one year at NTU Singapore:
- A one-year research grant of up to SGD100,000.
- An annual salary of up to SGD80,000.
- Relocation allowance and generous housing allowance of up to SGD18,000 for entire duration of Fellowship.
- Opportunity to work with alongside leaders in science and engineering in the 5 focus areas of Wallenberg- NTU Presidential Postdoctoral Fellowship at NTU.
- Generous personal development opportunities and mentorship in an established research group.
- Opportunity to work with faculty in mentoring graduate and undergraduate students.
- Exposure to the most dynamic and diverse global growth regions.
For the one year in Sweden with a WASP research group:
- An annual support package including salary, senior supervision, travel, and other occurring costs, according to the WASP standard support for postdocs in Sweden.
- Opportunity to work alongside academic leaders in science and engineering at WASP research partner institutions in Sweden.
- Access to the infrastructure in the WASP funded research arenas.
- Opportunity to interact with the WASP graduate students and the WASP graduate school.
- Commitment to a one-year research stint respectively at NTU and at a WASP partner institution in Sweden.
- Graduated with a PhD degree not more than 5 years at the application time.
- Demonstrable intellectual excellence.
- Maturity and capacity to begin an independent research career.
- Desire and potential to develop as a future academic leader.
- Applicant is required to submit thoughtful and realistic research proposal in one of the five focus areas of Wallenberg- NTU Presidential Postdoctoral Fellowship.
HOW TO APPLY
The application for the Wallenberg-NTU Presidential Postdoctoral Fellowship 2022 is open from 15 November 2021 to 10 January 2022, 2359hr (Singapore Time, UTC+8).
Applications must be submitted in electronic format via NTU Online Application Portal.
Please visit NTU’s webpage for more details regarding applications to this call.