The fact that artificial intelligence and autonomous systems will have huge impact on our society is known, but yet not fully understood. Through the foundation of WASP-Humanities and Society, the Wallenberg Foundations broadens their investment in AI research in Sweden.
The Marianne and Marcus Wallenberg Foundation intend to invest at least SEK 300 million in the program WASP-Humanities and Society, WASP-HS, to support research in social science and humanities that can give insights in how to tackle consequences of upcoming technology shifts.
The program will include, among other things:
- Ethics and autonomous systems and AI
- Economy of autonomous systems and AI
- Law for autonomous systems and AI
- Social consequences, including effects on the labor market of autonomous systems and AI
- Improved information systems for autonomous systems and AI
Research within WASP-HS will be conducted separate from WASP but will add new competence to the WASP Program.
– We will have an extensive cooperation between WASP and WASP-HS which will be of great benefit for the WASP graduate school. We welcome that our students will be given a deeper understanding on how their technical research projects are related to social science and humanities, says Mille Millnert, Chair of the WASP Board.
Published: March 20th, 2019